Monday, April 4, 2011

Coming Home

While my boyfriend is away, I try to remain very busy with classes and finals and papers. Once school is out, I plan on working a lot during the summer to keep myself occupied and not be able to worry as much.

However, I do give myself "down time", to be sad or worry. During this time, it usually falls on a Sunday, when the network Lifetime's new showed aired a few weeks ago about soldiers coming home early and surprising their families.

The one wife I know that is married to a marine in my boyfriend's unit watches it religiously as well. The last episode was about a Navy sailor coming home to surprise his wife with the wedding of her dreams. The other story in the show was about a young wife who had a baby while her husband was away, and Lifetime was there to document the happy reunion and meeting. The show reminded me of this wife, and how her baby boy was born while her husband was down in Quantico. Luckily, my boyfriend's higher-up's allowed this man to come watch his son be born.

The show airs on Sundays, and is called "Coming Home". This is the only time where I will allow myself to cry or get emotional over my boyfriend being away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqVP6UepBw


It is also a tearjerker, because most of the stories deal with the families with younger kids who miss their daddy's and haven't seen them in over a year. I cry when the kids realize their daddy is home, but the tears are happy tears. I reccommmend this show to anyone who not only has a loved one overseas, but also to anyone who has a heart.

4 comments:

  1. My mom surprised my brother and I in my dad's first deployment by telling us he'd be coming home only days before he did.

    Little kids are the worst, though. On his last deployment, we were both in our teens and were used to it and handled it well, but the kids in the airport were heartbreaking. They stared out the windows at the planes and cried for their daddies. I couldn't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This show makes me bawl. I'll be posting a video on your facebook wall in a few minutes that i think you need to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janelle, thats so neat your mom surprised you guys! and if I saw kids crying at the airport, I'd probably break down as well


    Kaylie, that show makes me cry everytime I watch it

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm glad you liked the video i posted, by the way. it made me bawl when i watched it the other night, and i've seen it like fifty times.

    ReplyDelete